LP Board Meeting – Monday, December 16, 2013
Present: Mariola, Paul, Victor, Carol, Alex, Eric, Francine, Kristen, Ellen, and Sarah.
Meeting started at 6:15pm.
1. Approve notes from the Nov. 18 mtg.
Carol moves to approve minutes from 11/18/13.
All in favor.
Sarah, Victor and Mariola abstain (not part of the Board at the moment.)
2. Welcome new board members Sarah Guerra and Victor Martinez and renewed board member Mariola Fernandez.
3. Report from ED: Kristen sees the need to form an active fundraising committee. This is a primary duty of the board, and we have an enormous opportunity between now and June 2015 with the Building Our Future campaign to be followed by 40th Anniversary activities.
ACTION: Kristen and Eric will look at the budget to determine if LP has money for hiring someone to help with fundraising.
Agreed: in the meantime we should keep a roster of ideas for fundraising; have another phone banking before the end of the year.
ACTION: Kristen will send an email to the board to inform of date for phone banking.
Addressing letter sent to the Board from some community, mural, and chorus members:
ACTION: Kristen will respond to the letter.
Points to cover: regular communication will be through our website; we are planning to go through with the renovations; schedule for the renovations; give numbers for the different phases; programming plan; general direction of LP; we look forward to open communication; we are willing to address the concerns; we are committed to our founding principles.
4. Financial committee (financial review) by Carol of finance committee:
- Thus far, for fiscal year 2014, our financial results are in line with the budget projections: Total revenue from the door has met our projected budget and also our overall operating expenses are in line with our budget projections.
- We’ve received about $40,000 for the capital campaign with an additional $35,000 in pledges.
- We’ve been doing very well with grants, particularly with key ones such as Hewlett and Haas.
- So far we’ve taken the investment for the Café from the General Operations fund of the Cultural Center. We are not sure yet if we can use the endowment money for the Café. We are doing additional research.
- For the most part we are living within our budget with minor variances.
- Total budget for renovations, including contingencies: around $110,000. We have more than that amount available in cash, not including BOF pledges.
- We would not be sending out a good message to our funders, donors, etc. if we delay the start of the project.
5. Mural Report:
The mural group has raised most of what they’ve spent. The artists have been asked to do some touch ups on faces that some have complained about. The mural group has a plan/commitment to raise the money needed for this, which is about $3,000. There are some lights to put up too.
6. Report from the Café Committee:
Things have been challenging. LP has invested $50,000 so far of which about $26,000 at this time is lost. The past month and a half has shown improvement in revenue.
We’re adopting a new approach to what we’re serving and doing popup kitchens where we bring a guest chef to handle the food service while the Café keeps proceeds from the sale of beverages. The most successful one so far has been the Flamenco cuisine, ñora. We are planning to start opening on Tuesdays. We are also getting interest from restaurants to take over the daytime business as a concession. The idea is that they open for breakfast and lunch and they would leave at 2:30pm. They would pay a rental fee and have a 1-year maximum lease. We had a tasting from one of these businesses and the board was very happy with the results. We also have interest from 2 more businesses. The deadline for proposals is December 20 and the Café board will make a decision by January 6. In terms of programming, there has been a lot more in the Lounge with many exciting events. We will try this arrangement for the next few months to see where we stand and re-evaluate as needed.
7. Report from the Café Committee:
The construction schedule is being developed. Programming for February should be okay.
ACTION: Kristen will send out a report after hearing construction scheduling details this week.
8. Capital Campaign updates (see financial report above).
9. Kristen’s leave: Kristen presented her plan for maternity leave including time off and part-time work
10. Set February meeting: Monday, February 3 from 6-8pm at La Peña.
Meeting ends at 8:30pm.